Posted on 6 Comments

How to register a mobility vehicle with DVLA?

How to register a mobility vehicle with DVLA? This is one of the most common questions asked by first time owners of the scooters. Doing our best to always explain the procedures, we have decided to offer an ever better solution. This infographic below will explain the process in great detail for everyone.

All of our data was researched thoroughly by reading extensively Department of Transport documentation, as well as other supporting documents by various verified sources.

Register a mobility vehicle with DVLA infographic – overview

Firstly, the infographic will detail the differences between different classes of the mobility vehicles. According to DVLA, there are three of them. But only the third class meets the requirements to be able to be used on public roads.

Do you want to know them to check if you can register a mobility scooter with a DVLA? We will provide them.

Further down we will go into the process of registration and restrictions. Finally, how to deregister and dispose of the mobility scooter, if it is no longer needed. Enjoy our infographic, share or leave feedback, if you’d love to see more of them!


Share this Image On Your Site

What are the classes of mobility scooters?

There are three types of mobility vehicles:

  1. Class-1: manual wheelchairs, not electrically powered.
  2. Class-2: electric-powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters with a maximum speed of 4 mph. You can only ride these on foothpaths and in pedestrian areas.
  3. Class-3: electric-powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters with a maximum speed of 8 mph. You can ride them on roads, footpaths and pedestrian areas as well.

Do you have to register your mobility scooter with the DVLA?

Only class-3 mobility scooters are required to be registered with the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency). Why? They are the ones that can travel both – on pavements and roads. You do not need to register class-1 medical devices and class-2 mobility vehicles.

What features must have a class-3 mobility scooter to register with DVLA?

If you own a class-3 mobility scooter, you have to register your vehicle. Even if you do not intend to use it on the road. Moreover to register it, you must follow specific rules, including:

  • The mobility scooter must not exceed 254 kg without the driver or any load.
  • It must have a maximum width of 0.85 meters.
  • Its necessary equipment is:
  1. a horn,
  2. rearview mirrors and
  3. lights (including indicators, front, rear and hazard lights).
  • The scooter must have a maximum unladen weight of 150 kg.
  • It must have an efficient braking system.

What documents do you need to register mobility scooter with DVLA?

Once you buy Veleco Class-3 mobility scooter from us, you’ll get Velobike DVLA PACK that includes:

  • User manual,
  • Declaration that a vehicle is new V267,
  • Application for first vehicle tax and registration (V55/5).

Moreover, the document you need to register your Class-3 mobility scooter is already almost filled. In the DVLA PACK, we point out sections you’ll have to fill on your own. No worries  – we’ve written everything clearly. But of course, if you have any problems with your DVLA application, do not hesitate to contact us. To make us possible to prepare the right document for you, please make sure that you give us the proper data of scooter user. Especially if they qualify for VAT relief.

Do you qualify for VAT relief on a mobility scooter purchase?

According to UK law, VAT relief on scooter purchase can only happen if bought for personal and non-business use. In the UK VAT exemption can be claimed by chronically sick or disabled, His Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) defines it as:

  • physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon your ability to carry out everyday activities,
  • a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes,
  • terminal illness.

Temporary mobility impairments (twisted ankle, broken leg) do not qualify for VAT exemption. Moreover, old age does not automatically exempt from VAT.

How to register a class-3 Veleco mobility scooter with DVLA? – Step-by-step guide

  1. Fill in the documents you get with your Scooter (DVLA PACK).
  2. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR, UK.

Do you have to pay vehicle tax for a class-3 mobility scooter?

Class-3 mobility scooters are generally exempt from road tax in the UK. However, you may need to register your scooter with the DVLA to claim this exemption and receive a “nil value” tax disc to display on your scooter.

Don't keep it to yourself, share it!

6 thoughts on “How to register a mobility vehicle with DVLA?

  1. where do get reistration form for class 3 scooter from, can l do it on line? Thanks.

    1. If you have bought your mobility scooter from us, you will receive all the paperwork needed for registration with your vehicle. In case you have lost the V55/4 form, you can order it from the DVLA here:

  2. My husband has purchased a Green Power second hand mobility scooter. Do we have to register it? Also he was diagnosed with Alkhzeimers 6 months ago. Is he allowed to use a scooter and do we have to insure him . He is 85.

    1. Hello Anne Marie, unfortunately, we can not advise on what to do with a mobility scooter that isn’t a Veleco brand. We simply do not know these models and do not know if you own a class-2 or class-3 mobility scooter. Generally speaking, if you have a class-3 mobility scooter you have to register it with DVLA. Mobility scooters are vehicles for the elderly (with no maximum age limit) and disabled – if their health is good enough to ride safely and do not pose any danger to themselves or other road and pavement users, there is nothing to worry about. However, if you have any doubts, the best way to be sure is to contact your husband’s doctor and simply ask about it.

  3. Help. been tokd DVLA registration can take 8 weeks. Can I use mobility scooter till then. Thank you

    1. Hello Ann. If you have a class 3 mobility scooter you must register it with the DVLA. This class of scooters is only allowed to be ridden on the road with registration. So it looks like you have to wait. Please bear in mind that you do not need to register your scooter if you own a class 2 mobility scooter. Anyway, we encourage you to join the official manufacturer’s Facebook group (, where all Veleco mobility scooter owners share their experiences. Perhaps someone has had a similar situation with the long waiting time for registering a scooter with the DVLA and will advise you on what can be done to reduce this time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *